- Patchwork Poem 2021Here is the 2021 Patchwork Poem created by Andy Jackson, our 2017 Makar, from lines sent in by members. Many thanks indeed to Andy for weaving together so many disparate lines into a coherent and resonant whole, and many thanks too to all who contributed. The poem can be downloaded as an A4 document here … Continue reading
- National Poetry Day 2021Thursday 7th October 2021 3pm Zoom Event The Federation Of Writers(Scotland) will be celebrating National Poetry Day with poetry readings, including from this year’s Makar Jim Mackintosh, and the unveiling of this year’s Patchwork Poem, by poet and former Makar, Andy Jackson. There are open mic slots available for poets to read their own work. … Continue reading
- Vernal Equinox Competition Winners – A CelebrationSaturday 4th September 2021 We enjoyed a wonderful afternoon of readings from the winners of this year’s Vernal Equinox Competition. Truly inspiring writing in a variety of genres and languages – heartfelt and brave. Congratulations to all of the winners and a huge thanks to the judges and organisers. We will look forward to the … Continue reading
- Results of the Vernal Equinox CompetitionWe are delighted to announce the winners of The Vernal Equinox Competition 2021. See the list below. To read an entry click on the title. If there is no link it will be because the entrant either does not wish the piece to be published or has been contacted but not yet given permission. We hope … Continue reading
- Vernal Equinox Competition Judges’ ReportsWe would like to thank all our five judges, Mairibeth MacMillan, Deborah Moffatt, Jim Mackintosh, Stuart A Paterson and Leela Soma, for their care and diligence in judging what turned out to be a bumper entry across nearly all categories. Their reports are below. Flash Fiction Judge’s Report Judging this year’s flash fiction competition was … Continue reading
The results of the Vernal Equinox Competition 2021 are now online
The results of the Vernal Equinox Competition 2021 are now online and may be viewed here You can view the judge’s report for an individual category (e.g. Flash Fiction) by clicking on the link after the heading for the results in that category. Alternatively you can read all the judges’ reports here. Thank you to all who submitted entries, many congratulations to the prizewinners and special thanks to the judges for their exemplary care.. Successful entrants have now all been notified. We hope to organise a virtual Awards Event in September.
All the contributions to our anthology to commemorate the Declaration of Arbroath and all the contributions from members who chose to reply to some of those contributions have now been posted online. The page on which these contributions were posted weekly has now been taken down but all contributions. may be read in the archive here including the contributions made by last year’s Makar Finola Scott and last year’s Scriever Charlie Gracie. Our appreciative thanks to all the contributors, who made this such an interesting and worthwhile project.
National Poetry Day 1st October 2020
FWS celebrated National Poetry Day 2020 with readings from a range of poets including our Makar Finola Scott. Marie Therese thoroughly enjoyed hosting the event and introducing some of our regular readers. The organisers were also delighted to welcome some poets who were making their Federation debut. The event also saw the debut of this year’s Patchwork Poem , Unseen on the theme of vision, the title being created by one of the contributors. Unseen was stitched into being by Andy Jackson. We hope to upload the accompanying video imminently. The Federation was proud to offer, as an extra bonus, a reading from former Makar Sheila Templeton, winner of this year’s James Mc Cash Scots Poetry Prize with The Clyack Shafe (meaning the last harvest sheaf).
A wonderful afternoon of poetry. Congratulations and thanks to all those who contributed. The Federation is delighted and grateful to be able to offer members the opportunity to continue to showcase their work in these challenging times.
Surfing, an anthology of poetry and prose by members of the Federation Of Writers ( Scotland) to be launched 7th November .
For further information and details of how to order, please follow this link