- Results of the Vernal Equinox CompetitionWe are delighted to announce the winners of The Vernal Equinox Competition 2021. See the list below. To read an entry click on the title. If there is no link it will be because the entrant either does not wish the piece to be published or has been contacted but not yet given permission. We hope … Continue reading
- Vernal Equinox Competition Judges’ ReportsWe would like to thank all our five judges, Mairibeth MacMillan, Deborah Moffatt, Jim Mackintosh, Stuart A Paterson and Leela Soma, for their care and diligence in judging what turned out to be a bumper entry across nearly all categories. Their reports are below. Flash Fiction Judge’s Report Judging this year’s flash fiction competition was … Continue reading
- Patchwork Poem 2021We’re delighted to announce that once again to mark National Poetry Day 2021 (celebrated this year on Thursday 7 October), the Federation of Writers Scotland would like to invite members to contribute to a Patchwork Poem on this year’s NPD theme of ‘Choice’. • The project welcomes contributions from FWS members only • Single lines, … Continue reading
- Annual General MeetingAGM 23rd June at 7.00pm You are warmly invited to the FWS Annual General Meeting 23rd June 2021 at 7pm via Zoom. ( Contact Jenifer at email@example.com for Zoom link and papers) And then join us for a soiree with our Makar Jim Mackintosh and his special guest Julie Mc Neill. We look forward to … Continue reading
- Anthology 2021 Naming CompetitionANTHOLOGY TITLE COMPETITION Each year the NVP Anthology is one of the highlights of our year. A fabulous publication drawn from the talents of our members, with Poetry and Prose deftly written in our three languages, Scots, Gaelic, and English. For 2021 the Anthology team would like to invite you to name the upcoming publication. … Continue reading
The results of the Vernal Equinox Competition 2021 are now online
The results of the Vernal Equinox Competition 2021 are now online and may be viewed here You can view the judge’s report for an individual category (e.g. Flash Fiction) by clicking on the link after the heading for the results in that category. Alternatively you can read all the judges’ reports here. Thank you to all who submitted entries, many congratulations to the prizewinners and special thanks to the judges for their exemplary care.. Successful entrants have now all been notified. We hope to organise a virtual Awards Event in September.
Arbroath anthology Right of Reply
All the contributions to our anthology to commemorate the Declaration of Arbroath are now online and may be read in the archive here
It’s now the turn of those members who chose to reply to pieces in the anthology. The first of these responses has now been posted on the anthology page and can be read here
We are also delighted to bring you contributions to the anthology by our current Makar Finola Scott and our current Scriever Charlie Gracie. Both can be accessed via the link above and will remain on the site for the duration of this project.
National Poetry Day 1st October 2020
FWS celebrated National Poetry Day 2020 with readings from a range of poets including our Makar Finola Scott. Marie Therese thoroughly enjoyed hosting the event and introducing some of our regular readers. The organisers were also delighted to welcome some poets who were making their Federation debut. The event also saw the debut of this year’s Patchwork Poem , Unseen on the theme of vision, the title being created by one of the contributors. Unseen was stitched into being by Andy Jackson. We hope to upload the accompanying video imminently. The Federation was proud to offer, as an extra bonus, a reading from former Makar Sheila Templeton, winner of this year’s James Mc Cash Scots Poetry Prize with The Clyack Shafe (meaning the last harvest sheaf).
A wonderful afternoon of poetry. Congratulations and thanks to all those who contributed. The Federation is delighted and grateful to be able to offer members the opportunity to continue to showcase their work in these challenging times.
Surfing, an anthology of poetry and prose by members of the Federation Of Writers ( Scotland) to be launched 7th November .
For further information and details of how to order, please follow this link